Aunt Norie’s Sewing Room
To put creases in slacks legs or press that pleat in or take the creases out, white vinegar to the rescue.
Let me explain.
You’ve let your hem out to lengthen a garment. That old fold line of the former hem really shows. I like to just pour some white vinegar in a saucer, dip a pad of folded cloth in as a sponge and wipe it along that line. Press with your steam iron. Usually just one treatment is sufficient.
Use the same treatment for that crease for your slacks leg or skirt pleats — whether you’ve just made the garment or in case you just want to repress them in to freshen up the garment.
Sewing can be fun. Every child needs to learn some of the basics of sewing as they grow up. Buttons, rips, tears (emergency repairs). It’s also such fun to create your designs by combining patterns. A scrap of fabric from “this” can be a yoke, or pocket, on “that.” So on, and “sew” on.
Our nation seems to have earned the title of being the most wasteful in the world. It’s nice to know it wasn’t always so. We can all be so proud of our forefathers for forming this great nation. We all need to pray for such a leader today to carry on.
— Aunt Norie, P.O. Box 265, Tonganoxie, 66086; firstname.lastname@example.org
More like this story
- State speaker to discuss communities and better involvement tonight in Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie City Council, USD 464 school board candidate forums Saturday
- Tonganoxie mural public forum set for Wednesday in council chambers
- Literacy Fair is Thursday at Tonganoxie Elementary School
- Tonganoxie City Council eyes former post office, to have public forum on police station July 13